Delicious Black Bean Brownies

I’ve always had a passion for healthy eating. I can’t remember exactly when it started, but a long time ago I came to truly understand the concept of eating to fuel and nourish my body, and it changed my life.

Now, let’s keep it real. Yes, I absolutely indulge in pizza and donuts (especially when I am pregnant). But I would say that I operate along an 85/15 rule. You may have heard of the 80/20 rule – it’s where you eat healthy 80% of the time and then eat pretty much whatever you want the remaining 20%. The real key to staying on track with what you eat is to focus on leaning into the healthy foods that you actually enjoy. Because of our “diet culture” and obsession with body image, the focus is typically on all of the things that people are cutting OUT as opposed to what they’re adding in. Trust me, I have been one of these people who had a laundry list of things that I did NOT eat. But the reality is that our mind is powerful. And even if it’s just pertaining to our diet, operating along the lines of a lack mindset–which is exactly what’s happening when you focus on what you can NOT have–can easily spill over into other areas of your life. And let me tell you, this is a slippery slope. So just as much as I focus on feeding my mind with positivity, I do the same with my body. 

My goal is to always eat nutritious food that is also delicious. You should love your food! It’s one of the reasons that I am always trying to switch things up–adding in little things here and there to maximize health benefits. And to my family’s dismay, I do the same with all of their meals that I prepare.

My latest obsession in this category are black bean brownies. I know, I thought the same exact thing when I first read about it. How in the world do you make healthy brownies that are actually delicious with black beans? Please, TRUST ME, this recipe does it. 


Here’s What You’ll Need: [Recipe Makes 9-12 Brownies]

  • 1 1/2 cups black beans (1 15-oz can, drained and rinsed VERY well) (250g after draining)
  • 2 tbsp grated dark chocolate (at least 85% cacao) (10g) – yes, use your cheese grater and then a bar of dark chocolate
  • 1/2 cup quick oats (40g) 
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar 
  • 1/4 cup coconut 
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 cup chocolate chips
  • 1/4 cup white chocolate chips
  • optional: more chips, for presentation (added on top)

And Here’s What You’ll Do:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2. Combine all ingredients except chips in a food processor or blender.
  3. Stir in chocolate chips to the batter, and then pour into a greased 8×8 pan. 
  4. Optional: sprinkle extra chocolate chips over the top. 
  5. Cook the black bean brownies for 15 – 18 minutes. 
  6. Let pan cool at least 10 minutes before trying to cut. If they still look a bit undercooked, you can place them in the fridge overnight and they will magically firm up!

I will add one comment regarding something I learned the last time I made these; I tried to double the batch and it did not turn out as well. SO I highly suggest that you stick to the original recipe and simply make two batches if necessary (which will be the case if you’re making these for more than one person). Let me know what you think! 

Enjoy!

– LW

P.S. I dare you to make these and NOT reveal the secret ingredient until someone has tried it. This is exactly what I did with my husband (who avoids “healthy” at all costs) and he couldn’t believe it.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s